There’s no denying that a flat roof has a number of benefits over a traditional sloped roof. In addition to adding a unique look to your home, flat roofs are easily accessible, and they can even be turned into outdoor living spaces if they’re built properly. However, flat roofs do have one problem that a traditional sloped roof usually doesn’t: debris buildup.
Leaves, branches, twigs, dust and dirt are just some of the things that will accumulate on flat roofs if you don’t watch out for them. This post from a trusted provider of roofing services in Gilbert, AZ will cover the dangers of debris buildup and what you can do to prevent it:
- Trim trees: Tall trees surrounding your property keep your home cool and comfortable. Unfortunately, those long branches can also pose big problems for your roof. Fallen branches and leaves can pile up rather quickly on a flat roof, so be sure to keep those trees’ limbs trimmed and ensure they’re not dangling over your roof.
- Clean it often: Once a pile of debris starts to build up, it just keeps growing and growing. A small pile grows exponentially and can get massive within a few weeks. The best way to ensure that doesn’t happen is to get up on top of your roof and clean it up every month or so. This chore will only take a few minutes and will go a long way toward ensuring that your roof is nice and clean all year long.
- Mind the drainage: Every roof’s drainage system is crucial to its overall health, but this is especially true for flat roofs. A damaged or non-existent drainage system on a flat roof quickly leads to leaks and costly repairs. Be sure that your flat roof’s gutters aren’t broken and are always clear of debris.
Hazards of debris buildup
We wouldn’t place such an emphasis on removing debris if failing to do so didn’t have some serious consequences. Here are a few nasty problems all of that debris can cause up on your roof:
- Permanent damage: A few small piles of debris up on your roof might not seem like a big deal. However, if left alone, those piles can cause structural damage that’ll require professional repairs to fix. These repairs typically aren’t cheap, but they’re easy to avoid by cleaning up your roof every once in a while.
- Mold and mildew: If left alone, those piles can eventually become a hotbed for mold and mildew growthy. Needless to say, mold growth on your roof is a bad look and may even necessitate some minor repairs if it’s bad enough.
- Insect infestations: We’re willing to bet that you don’t want a pest infestation in your home, so you should get up on your roof and clean up those piles of debris. A variety of insects might gladly make their home in that debris if you don’t clean it up.
If you’re considering building a home with a flat roof, or if your flat roof needs repairs, be sure to call Five Guys Roofing! Our competitive prices and years of industry experience make us one of the top roofing services in Gilbert, AZ. Call us today to learn what we can do for your home.
Categorised in: Roofing Services
This post was written by Writer