Tile is a great option for residential roofing. It comes with many significant advantages over other types of roofing materials, such as resistance to pests and the ability to withstand extreme weather conditions. Tile also has exceptional thermal properties that help to reduce ambient temperatures up on the roof deck. And these types of roofs are available in a wide range of colors, so you know you won’t have trouble finding a color of tile to complement your home.
When properly installed and cared for, a tile roof can last for decades. Here’s a closer look at how to maintain your tile roofing in Gilbert, AZ:
- Inspect your roof occasionally: Many homeowners choose tile roofing for its extreme durability, but just because it’s a durable material doesn’t mean it can’t be damaged. It’s important to inspect tile roofing from time to time to ensure shingles are not cracked or chipped. Damaged sections of tile should be replaced immediately to keep the elements out. Preventative measures can reduce the effects of other problems with your roof.
- Say no to pressure washing: While some roofing materials benefit from professional power washing services, tile is not one of them. In fact, pressure washing can actually cause a lot of costly damage to tile shingles. This action can erode concrete tiles or blast through them and into the materials below the tiles, which can cause flooding in roof spaces. The way to clean roof tiles is to use a trowel and wire brush to clean tiles by hand. Better yet, hire a professional to handle the job for you.
- Rejuvenate your roof: Once your roof has been thoroughly washed and dried, you might consider going a step further to protect your investment by rejuvenating the surface. Start by buffing away efflorescence, a chalky deposit caused by a natural chemical reaction in manufactured concrete tiles. Efflorescence doesn’t affect the structural integrity of the roof, so you can leave it, but tiles may appear dull. You can also prime tile to give the surface a protective sheen that reflects the sun. What about painting and sealing? Talk to a roofing expert about how these services might benefit your tile roof.
- Deal with damaged tiles: Remove and replace tiles that are chipped, cracked or broken right away. Broken tiles cannot fully protect your home from sun and rain exposure, which leaves openings for other kinds of damage to develop or worsen.
- Safely walk on your roof: No matter what type of material your home’s roof is made of, you must walk on it carefully and lightly, and only go up there when absolutely necessary, like when doing inspections and making repairs. Tile is fragile and easy to damage to the point where it needs to be replaced because it cannot be fixed. The trick to walking on tile roofing the right way is to evenly distribute your weight over an area wider than your foot. Never walk along the delicate edges of tile.
Whether you need tile roofing in Gilbert, AZ installed, repaired, inspected or replaced, you can count on the experienced team at Five Guys Roofing to do it all. Call us today for more information!
Categorised in: Tile Roofing
This post was written by Writer