Homeowners, landlords and commercial property owners everywhere are gearing up for the wet fall season, taking care of lawn maintenance, exterior repairs and more. Making sure a roof is ready to take on potentially stormy weather is key to avoiding costly repair bills later, which is a good reason to keep it in mind as you’re working on your fall property maintenance. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some fall roof maintenance tips from an expert roofing contractor in Gilbert, AZ:
- Clean the gutters and downspouts: Your home’s gutters must be clear in order to work properly, as well as to keep water from settling on the roofline. And in addition to water backing up onto your roof, gutters clogged with wet leaves and tree pollen can lead to water repeatedly splashing back onto the roof, all of which can cause water damage, including leaks, ceiling soft spots, shingle cracking and mold and mildew.
- Install gutter protectors: One of the easiest ways to keep falling leaves and other outdoor debris from clogging your gutters is to block it out with a gutter guard. With a gutter guard in place, cleaning the gutters will be a lot quicker and simpler, thanks to small openings that only allow water in, while keeping large debris out. Leaves left on top of the guard will blow off, or you can brush them off during outdoor maintenance. When you install gutter protectors, you will save time and preserve your roof.
- Trim nearby trees: Did you know that an overhanging tree limb can be a huge contributor to roof damage? Between the winds blowing branches and wild animals leaping through trees, causing movement, it’s no wonder roofing materials can get scraped off—especially during the fall and winter months, when strong winds are present. To prevent damage, trim tree limbs back from your house. Removing heavy branches during the fall may even cut down on the amount of leaves that fall into your gutters.
- Inspect the roof: Whether you inspect your roof yourself or hire a professional roofing contractor in Gilbert, AZ, doing this sometime during the fall season can help you get ahead on your winter roof maintenance and ensure you find problems sooner rather than later. Take a look at all shingles, other roofing materials, chimney, the flashing around rooftop fixtures, skylights and vents for large debris and needed repairs.
- Inspect the attic: Checking for problems inside the home is also important, particularly in the attic. You will want to inspect the attic for leaks, which can lead to roof damage, including weakened shingles and water damage, and mold growth on the underside of the roof and on attic insulation material. It’s best to do an attic inspection while it is raining so you can see if there are any leaks allowing water to come in.
- Fix roof damage: Most importantly, you do not want to ignore obvious roof damage, whether big or small. If left unfixed, more damage is likely to form. And above all, don’t wait until the rain is falling hard to make repairs—the time to fix it is when you discover it.
Need a professional roofing contractor in Gilbert, AZ? Don’t hesitate to contact the team at Five Guys Construction this fall.
Categorised in: Roofing Contractor
This post was written by admin