Once you find reputable contractors, it is now time to compare bids between roofing services in Gilbert, AZ! You want the best price, but you do not want to go with a bid on that standard alone. Low bids often reflect poor materials, a lack of insurance and possibly even a failure to register with the state. Here is how you can determine the best bid for your roofing project:
- Get bids in writing: Do not rely on your memory when it comes to the details of a bid. Reputable roofing companies keep forms for this purpose so it is easy to give clients written bids. Not only are you unlikely to remember the terms, but there is large potential for misunderstanding. You may remember a detail one way while the contractor remembers it differently, and that can lead to bad surprises later. If a company is not willing to provide a written bid or estimate, it may be time to move on.
- Request itemization: Bids should be itemized by labor and materials. This makes it easier to compare them later. If a bid quotes one price for a high quality roofing material but another quotes the price lower, that could be a turning point. The same is true if you see a low bid with lower quality materials. Itemization makes it easier to see differences between bids so you can assess them better and truly weigh benefits.
- Ask questions: Do not let a bid go unanswered. If any part of it is unclear or seems inadequate, ask questions. You may even want the contractor to clarify that part of the bid in writing. Sometimes, a bid may be missing essential items like labor or even roof shingles. If items seem to be missing from a written bid, ask about them and confirm the bid is complete before you consider it against the others.
- Inquire about contingencies: Developments during roofing could raise the price of the job. Ask about items that could raise the bid and make your project more expensive. See if there is a way to check some attributes before starting the job, like roof structure or other damage. This way, if there is anything that needs repair before your roofing project starts, you can address that first so your bids are complete.
- Insist on timelines: You want an approximate estimate of when the contractor will finish your roof. Leaving timelines open-ended risks facing construction conditions forever and never seeing an end to your project. A timeline also enforces accountability, so put any bids that indicate time factors on priority consideration. Contractors who do not want to set timelines often take advantage of customers.
- Confirm insurance and registration: This is especially important when reviewing an unusually low bid. There is often a reason for low prices, and that can be anything from poor quality materials to contractors who skip out on insurance and registration requirements. If you hire a roofing company that does not maintain legal requirements, you risk a homeowner’s insurance claim. Do not quickly accept the lowest bid only to risk consequences later.
For complete roofing services in Gilbert, AZ, call Five Guys Construction for an estimate.